2021-22 Coaches Shows with Isaac Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

lol. He only gets doubled because he can’t pass out of a double team.
    I agree, however, I am not sure that it is that he can't pass out of the double team. I believe its that he won't pass out of it.

Comment

• Need to create. Need to pass. Need to score. Too much emphasis on defending. It's good and all to defend ABSOLUTELY...this team buys into that already...but coach run some practices where these guys soley focus on getting buckets!!!!!!!! They look like ALL THEY DO is practice defense. Missouri Valley'ish. Geez...
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

It was brought up several times but put on the back burner to address turnovers and making free throws. Didn’t seem like it was that important.

And it’s been “addressed” every show, but it’s never made it to game day. So it seems to be all fluffy talk. Jackass.
        You have to have the ball in your hands to take good shots.

I understand you're still a simp for Gregg, so I don't expect you to be happy regardless of what he said in this show.

Comment

• If Gregg Marshall was the coach of this particular team, I think there is a real possibility of this team having 7 losses right now. The upside of a player's coach is that our players have kept their composure in a lot of games and fought back, because they believed in themselves and the coach. Say what you will about Gregg's last few years here, but I think it is clear that his coaching style created terrible off-court chemistry and made players outright quit on the program.

That said, the downside to a player's coach is also obvious: players can get away with a lot. They might bring A+ effort and keep their heads high when the going gets rough, but they'll also made the same mistakes. High energy is why we've held every opponent under 1 point per possession. Mistakes are why we've been terrible on the other end of the floor. There may be a real cap to how much of our player's potential we will get to see. This team absolutely does not let the game come easily to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
            If Gregg Marshall was the coach of this particular team, I think there is a real possibility of this team having 7 losses right now. The upside of a player's coach is that our players have kept their composure in a lot of games and fought back, because they believed in themselves and the coach. Say what you will about Gregg's last few years here, but I think it is clear that his coaching style created terrible off-court chemistry and made players outright quit on the program.

That said, the downside to a player's coach is also obvious: players can get away with a lot. They might bring A+ effort and keep their heads high when the going gets rough, but they'll also made the same mistakes. High energy is why we've held every opponent under 1 point per possession. Mistakes are why we've been terrible on the other end of the floor. There may be a real cap to how much of our player's potential we will get to see. This team absolutely does not let the game come easily to them.
            Name 7

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

Coach doesn’t shoot or turn over the ball. .
              No, he doesn't. But he DOES have the ability to a) substitute and b) adjust. Haven't seen enough of that, IMO. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I'm just saying it's time to show he's a GOOD coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

No, he doesn't. But he DOES have the ability to a) substitute and b) adjust. Haven't seen enough of that, IMO. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I'm just saying it's time to show he's a GOOD coach.
                Our roster is pretty limited especially in the North Texas game. No 6’10” backup center, 2 guys redshirting, Jenkins didn’t suit up and Porter got hurt in the 2nd half. I’m not sure that Kenny has practiced for the power forward position. We definitely have issues but players need to make open shots. I still think Coach Brown has what it takes but he does need to recruit bigger and better athletes. The staff definitely missed on Pleasant and Grant. They give great effort but I don’t think they are frontline D1 players.

Comment

• Not saying IB has lit the college hoops trail on fire this year, but I feel like everyone only chooses to remember Marshall’s good times now. 2 of his last 3 seasons I was pretty disappointed in how the team shook out.

Sure they jumped conferences but the AAC wasn’t so much better that they should’ve gone from a top 15 defense to outside the top 100 in 17-18. And a first round exit with that team was an abject failure.

18-19 I have nothing to complain about, thought that was one of his best coaching jobs of his career to get what he did out of that team.

And 19-20, I know everyone loves to blast ES but Marshall has to wear some of the blame for how that team fell apart. They were pretty miserable on offense too and ran a ton of ball screens that went nowhere.

And that’s without mentioning that aside from demeanor, schematically IB & Gregg are very similar as coaches, IB is running just about all of the same stuff on offense & their defensive scheme has largely not changed either.

None of this is to say Gregg wasn’t a great coach, & I was pretty optimistic going into last year compared to what people seemed to expect from WSU. Just feels like everyone only focuses on all his successes as a coach when I would be pretty unsurprised if this roster was still struggling a lot on offense under him, even if not quite THIS bad.

Comment

Our roster is pretty limited especially in the North Texas game. No 6’10” backup center, 2 guys redshirting, Jenkins didn’t suit up and Porter got hurt in the 2nd half. I’m not sure that Kenny has practiced for the power forward position. We definitely have issues but players need to make open shots. I still think Coach Brown has what it takes but he does need to recruit bigger and better athletes. The staff definitely missed on Pleasant and Grant. They give great effort but I don’t think they are frontline D1 players.
                    I'm trying NOT to read into this the sentiment that a 0-20 run is the best we could expect and no changes were necessary other than encourage the players to "make shots" and encourage the staff to recruit bigger guys. I don't give HCIB a pass on that. He needs to step up and show he can coach who he has. If I WERE to believe an 0-20 run against NT, even under difficult circumstances, is the best we can hope for, it's gonna be a looong season.

Comment

• but we DID have a back up 6'11 center - he hardly played.
                      Was their roster of players better than ours??????
                      Last edited by asiseeit; December 21, 2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Hate to break it to you, but I don't see our recruiting getting better in today's new world of NIL deals. HCIB is going to have to learn to coach players up like GM did such a great job of doing. Sad thing is, the worse our team looks on TV, the harder the recruiting will get. I hope I am wrong about this, but I find it hard to believe many top recruits will look are our game film for this season and think it will improve their chances of making it to the next level. The reputation the Shockers built over the last 10 years is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by eeshocker View Post

Hate to break it to you, but I don't see our recruiting getting better in today's new world of NIL deals. HCIB is going to have to learn to coach players up like GM did such a great job of doing. Sad thing is, the worse our team looks on TV, the harder the recruiting will get. I hope I am wrong about this, but I find it hard to believe many top recruits will look are our game film for this season and think it will improve their chances of making it to the next level. The reputation the Shockers built over the last 10 years is quickly becoming a thing of the past.
                          I was looking at verbal commits - it looks like WSU is mainly recruiting 2-star players. That is MVC quality recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I was looking at verbal commits - it looks like WSU is mainly recruiting 2-star players. That is MVC quality recruiting.
                            Recruiting is my biggest concern.... That said .. the portal matters more than HS recruits now. Let's see how he does with that. Our first couple haven't been great

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Name 7
                              1. Jacksonville State, a game where we trailed at half-time and struggled to make it back. Throw team chemistry out the window, and we don't have a chance to win with a buzzer beater
                              2. South Alabama, a tie game at half where we trailed 38-32 at 16:41 and 56-54 at 4:53. Another game where I think we came back partially due committed players that trusted the system.
                              3. Arizona, a game we lost
                              4. UNLV, another game we trailed at half-time and needed late plays and not collapsing to win.
                              5. KSU, a game we lost
                              6. OSU, a game where we had to come back in the 2nd half.
                              7. North Texas
                              In any of those games, I feel that a Marshall team without bad team chemistry could have collapsed and bickered where Brown's teams stayed solid and hopeful. Marshall's teams had a lot of positives, but especially the later teams struggled with adversity. In Marshall's last 3 seasons, his teams went 9-22 when behind at half-time by my count and a 8-8 record in games within one possession. I remember games like the 48-80 loss to OSU in 2019, the 58-71 loss to Louisiana Tech, the 41-54 loss to USF, and the 46-73 loss to Houston. Just absolute collapses. We've had many opportunities to crumble this season, and I've only really seen it happen in this game.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                                [LIST=1]We've had many opportunities to crumble this season, and I've only really seen it happen in this game.
                                I have a feeling you will get more opportunities as the season progresses. Except it may not be "crumbling" but "dominated".

Comment

Working...
                                X